Are you like me and see repetitive patterns of numbers? I see ‘33’ every. single. day and have done for 6 years. Alongside seeing it in time, it’s in my phone number… student ID… bank…you name it. Then there’s 1010.
Talking about numbers and times – I’m thinking 12. Or midday.
Last September Bobbie Houston urged friends on social media to join her to pray. She had read a New York Times article that had drawn attention to a ‘Theology of Rape’ being perpetrated by ISIS against innocent girls and the reality that the situation in these war torn regions of the Middle East was intensifying. The prayer initiative resonated and broadened to encompass the challenge of praying for misplaced people. The prayer hashtag #middayBABYmidday grew to include prayer for all people, the world, crisis, disaster, Middle East and refugees.
And now, at midday everyday all over the world there are waves of prayer ascending.
I see reminders as I scroll among the sunsets and the selfies #middayBABYmidday.
I see stories and lives changed as movements with feet on the ground rescue and change lives for good. A21 is an excellent example of a movement who believe human trafficking is modern day slavery. They state human trafficking fuels the growth of organized crime, undermining health, safety, security, and the basic needs of humanity. It is the fastest growing crime in the world. A21 educate potential victims, bring awareness to community groups, rescue victims and restore survivors.
I was at my lovely hair stylists today. She’ll be giving birth to her first babe very soon – so we were excited to talk all things babies. We chatted about vintage cribs and sleepless nights and the gift of body pillows.
We then talked about pregnant women fleeing for their lives and how it is a reality for many and because we are worshippers and Jesus girls our hearts cannot help respond with groans for those fleeing who are heavily pregnant – those who don’t own pillows.
As we chatted I looked at the clock (just after) midday. And so it begins.
From today my alarm is set.
I remembered reading a recent story of a Syrian mother who fled her home at 37 weeks pregnant, gave birth in Greece, and traveled immediately to the Macedonian/Serbian border. The story showed her with her 3-day-old baby who was getting treated for a skin rash by Samaritan’s Purse workers. Bobbie Houston writes ‘I can’t even imagine having to endure the last days of pregnancy and the early days of my baby’s life like this, let alone the unknowns ahead. Don’t know how to pray for? Find a story that resonates with you and START THERE’
Let us pray ‘Your kingdom come’ to this broken world.
I know, I know, we’ve got enough to think about, we all get caught up in our day, our lives, our stuff and often easily forget. But they are our family; I read ‘there is no such thing as other people’s children’.
Ready to set your alarm? Bobbie helps us with this prayer guide:
- Pray for people who can literally give their time, strength and energy on the frontlines.
- Pray for their safety and families
- Pray that organizations on the ground will find the financial and human support they need.
- Pray for the refugees and victims who are so desperately seeking a new life and home.
- Pray that their hearts will not fail
- Pray they will find strength to endure
- Pray that their hope will not be disappointed
- Pray they will discover that the world is still a magnificent place, that people are kind and compassionate, and that with enough encouragement and help, a way forward is possible.
- Pray that refugees will miraculously overcome their trauma and move on
- Pray that they can quickly assimilate into new culture and language
- Pray for Governments and local communities to have the wisdom to know how to welcome and accommodate these displaced souls into healthy community.
- Pray the church will rise to her calling and stature in this crisis.
- Pray for those who are still under fire, attack and threat.
- Pray many find Jesus in the midst of this exodus and crisis.
“…. and how bold and free we then become in his presence, freely asking according to his will, sure that he is listening. And if we’re confident that he’s listening, we know that what we’ve asked is as good as ours” 1 John 5:14 Message
Today is shine a light on slavery day with the End it movement, read more here. ‘End it’ is a coalition of leading organizations in the world in the fight for freedom.
Today voices are raised.
Don’t forget to set your alarm,
Love, Michelle xo